Monday, May 4, 2009

2009 gets off to a Very Good Start!











So I had decided that Singapore was going to be my turning point race in the meantime i was just going to enjoy it (which i did - i even made the startline just before the gun went off which was a slight improvement on the previous Sing race!!). I had nerve damage in my arm after falling off Rocky my mountain bike two weeks earlier and that was so sore I had to take painkillers on the way (and I Never take painkillers!) amazing how how you can block pain out until you cross the finishline! A few days after i got back to Dubai I heard from the British Triathlon Federation I'd got a place on Team GB for the world champs long course in October in Australia. Did i need any more signs? Could i be any happier?? A few weeks later, Julie's inaugural international tri camp decamped to Cyprus and stayed here (above right) and had an absolutely marvellous time, chilling by the sea, chilling in the sea (flipping cold!), sleeping a lot (one night we all went to bed at 6pm and didn't resurface until brekky the following morning - not the same bed i hasten to add, the trip wasn't THAT exciting :-D), making new friends and meeting up with old ones...oh and yes we did an Olympic distance race which was the reason we went. A freezing but lovely clear swim followed by a four lap bike ride and a three lap run that partly took us across a beach (on a slope so that one foot was partly avoiding the waves and the other getting sucked down by greedy sand) and then up a sand dune which shot the HR up and then along some crazy paving - but with a view so stunning it really didn't matter! Ah now, this is what being a destination triathlete is all about!