Friday, August 27, 2010

another week in the life of IG downunder....

If someone had told me that almost 5 months down the line I still would not have a real income and wouldn't be working in fitness or teaching my classes I swear I wouldn't have come here!! But it's amazing what you get on with when survival is the key and you can't be fussy. Years ago I used to teach English as a foreign/second language and ended up ditching it as a 'career' for several reasons - (1) cos I never intended it as a career, just as a way to travel, (2) cos I'd reached a ceiling, I'd got as far as I could without going into management and that didn't interest me and (3) I was totally miserable with the whole EFL work ethos. So I got out and pursued my passion. Went from being employed and all the security that went with it to working for myself. So I guess in a way, where I am now I've been before... Anyhow my main reason for talking about this is that the only work I've got so far is English teaching so that past career has been a total lifesaver! and the strange thing is I'm enjoying the contact with the students (Japanese, Brazilian, Peruvian, Hungarian...) because we're all in the same situation - all trying to make it in the Land Downunder but all needing to be on a student visa to stay here for now, all missing our jobs/vocations, all facing the same hurdles/problems, all skint and struggling financially, all having given up a heck of a lot to pursue our dreams of an Aussie lifestyle...subsequently I'm apparently really popular as a teacher - my colleagues/employers must think that's 'cos i'm a dedicated and talented teacher LOL!!

Meanwhile I'm desperately trying to relaunch my fitness career - the one I'm really passionate about here...I think this will take up another post another day!! But in the meantime today I'm really excited 'cos I've finally found a race I can aim for, until now I've felt like an unhappy helium balloon, not really attached to anything just blown about aimlessly...for years now I've always had a race lined up and without that I feel like something's missing in my life!! It needs to be something I don't need to spend money going to (for obvious reasons) and a single discipline is preferable at this point of low income and head full of other stuff... Anyhow today I found a 50k race right here on the Gold Coast in December! I called up the organiser to check it's on and it is, so that 's it - nearby, achievable in terms of training - come back training mojo, your time of apathy and slotheness is over - Slothegirl 0 Irongirl 1 :-) :-)