Friday, June 5, 2009

austria 70.3 episode eleven - the run!

compulsory post race beers!
me and my go faster pigtails!




So onto the run! and as this was now weeks ago and it's old news i will keep it short ;-). Basically i loved the run, i felt amazingly springy right from the first stride - love that feeling! i didn't let any girls at all overtake me woohoo! I was quite thirsty by then so i did stop off at every aid station (every 2k) and grab some water/electrolyte and coke towards the end. What i took on and the amount seemed to be spot on anyway and i had bouncy feet all the way. Run time was 1.43.33 which i was happy with. All in all despite the baaaad T1 and the other bits i'm critical of, i still took 21 minutes off my March 70.3 time and this course was tougher, so i was generally happy!
I love that finishline experience though it seems to pass in a blur and all you want to do then is swop notes with someone! In keeping with the rest of the austria experience there was a bit of a wander to the recovery tent, i stopped off in a big queue on the way to get my street and bike bags back and then sat on a bench in the sunshine regrouping my molecules and just relishing the whole experience of it until i felt balanced enough to join the food queue. Even so i wasn't hungry, post race the hunger never catches up until later on! Chatted to some random people, the girl in the flouncy frock was one of them. everyone in the recovery area was still in their tri suits and she was in the flouncy frock...i will always wonder if she raced in it! Went back to the gasthoff and spent the whole evening swapping tales with my race buddies. I think we all managed two vases of beer each before fading. We sat in the courtyard and enjoyed the long spring evening and laughed at my 7 minute transition hahaha not ;-Z and various other things that had happened along the way (Eric was very unfortunate as he got into a crash at the bike dismount line - some riders flew into him and two others and he was concussed and taken out of the race) and we spent a Lot of time analysing everyone's results on ironman.com!